A casual discussion to generate ideas on how to build school allies, support new teachers & become indispensable to admin & staff at the beginning of every school year. Featuring how Google tools (forms, docs, & presentation, and more!) can supercharge the library program & classroom throughout the school year. For Teacher Librarians,
How to connect with students and your community: tips for sharing with your staff
See the Back to School Special Wikispaces page
Ideas from Gwyneth Jones-- aka The Daring Librarian, a middle school teacher librarian, an award winning bloggr and one of Library Journal's Movers & Shakers 2011:
- Quick animation on Go Animate! for library orientation.
- Community Crowdsourcing with Google Forms
- Student produced book reviews - on Google forms which is published on a wiki
- Trouble shooting wiki - to help students with "how do I...." frequently asked questions
- Library blog: use of Edublogs; see the Daring Librarian Blog - share with students, parents & librarians
- Like us on Facebook even if your school blocks Facebook
- Twitter style book reviews with 140 characters which can also be posted to a Google form
- Stay up on pop culture, e.g. Angry Birds, Glee, etc so you can stay relevant with students
- Create give-aways for your teachers: e.g. PPT with homemade graphics to give to teachers to customize to make their own back-to-school PPT
- Parents please scan me - put a QR code out their to your resources on parent night
- How-to-tutorials: http://www.flickr.com/photos/info_grrl/sets/72157625298744518/
Tiffany Whitehead - librarian from Baton Rouge
- We have to change the perception of the librarian
- Create a welcoming space in the library; students need to feel comfortable
- You can do a lot with a little
- Bring in lots of toys; students love to play, e.g. puzzles, rubric cubes
- Engage students: Destiny Quest - interactive library catalog; let your students interact
- Use Google docs for scheduling classes in the library - meet each teacher where they are
- Offer help on Windows 7 - use of a wiki for help
- Tech Tuesday videos - 5 min video tutorials that teachers can use on her own YouTube channel
- Make parents an ally
- Facebook page - fight for a fan page with the parent organization & update it with important information for parents. If there is a will there is a way!
- Connect with grandparents as volunteers
- Comic Life - Jing -Screen shot videos for Tech Tuesday tutorials. Go Animate - Promotional videos. These are tools to create your library presence.
Crowdsourcing: Open Mike Night coming up, led by Joyce Valenza.