Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dropbox - Pogue and our students agree

Recently as part of Banned Sites Awareness Day, we asked students to tell us about their use of certain sites for school/learning. One we asked about was Dropbox.



The result? Almost half (45%) of our students use it for school work and their comments indicate that they would agree with David Pogue's recent enthusiastic review in The New York Times:

Here are some comments from our students:
• For Policy Debate class, we used DropBox to share debate files on our computer so that all members of the team had the same files and access to all of them.

• DropBox is literally the best way for students working on projects to collaborate and share information. I have used this tool many times over the years, and my partners and I have been extremely organized and successful thanks to this technology.

• I believe Dropbox is a great website to share vital files.

• In my opinion, more teachers should encourage Dropbox use.

• Since I was introduced to Dropbox a few years ago, I've considered it one of the most useful (free) web services outside of Google's Web Apps.

• Dropbox seamlessly synchronizes files across computers and you can access your complete archive of documents from any computer with an Internet connection.

• This is incredible, as I can keep all of my school documents (and various other files) on Dropbox, and this enables me to: allow people to download files from my Public folder, given an explicit public link, share files and folders with classmates for collaboration, *automatically update my documents at school to my computers at home*, and host photo albums.

• We used DropBox in all my classes in middle school for sharing files and submitting homework/projects to teachers. We also used it to see who turned in what assignment and who still needed to turn assignments in.

• We used dropbox for my Debate class to share files with our whole team. It spreads info to everybody who needs it.

We will be working to raise awareness amongst teachers and the 36% of our students had not heard of Dropbox.

No comments: